1. TURN OFF GAS OR ELECTRICITY
- Gas: Twist the dial on the top of the thermostat from the ON to the OFF position. Also, turn off the gas supply valve at the water heater by twisting the red knob clockwise until it stops.
- Electric: Switch the circuit breaker for the water heater to the OFF position.
- Turn the handle on the water supply valve clockwise until it stops. If the water does not stop, turn off the main water valve to the entire house.
- Attach a hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank. Run the other end of the hose to a lower place where you can drain rusty hot water and sediment without causing damage. Open a hot water faucet in the house to let air into the tank.
- Flip handle so that it is sticking straight out or up. (CAUTION: Scalding hot water)!